Awarded: August 1954
Blazon: On a Red Rock proper a Lighthouse Sable
Link: The lighthouse on a rock indicates this unit’s endeavour to provide a firm foundation upon which a recruit may build his service career. The badge also suggests the unit’s location on the Red Rocks at the mouth of the river Dee where a lighthouse is situated.
Motto: Firm foundations prevail
History: Opened as No. 5 Recruits Centre on 25 April 1940 at West Kirby. Re-designated No.1 Personnel Despatch Centre on 17 September 1941. Reformed at West Kirby on 1 September 1946 and was re-designated No 5 School of Recruit Training on 1 November 1948. The final Passing Out Parade took place on 20 December 1957 and West Kirby closed on 1 January 1958.
Sponsored by Bernard and Richard Clarkson and dedicated to all who served at, and passed through RAF West Kirby